Tuesday, September 8, 2015

WCIYP (It's a Whole New World for Job-Hunters)

"What Color Is Your Parachute", by Richard N. Bolles is an incredible book to use as a resource for anyone who is in the job-hunting market, or simply looking for a career change. In its first chapter, the idea of a whole new world is presented to emphasize that the process of finding and earning a job has changed dramatically over the years. In order to succeed in this new business atmosphere, it is essential to adapt to the current trends of job-hunting.

Hence, I believe that one of the most important topics discussed in the first chapter of this book is that job-hunting has moved more online since 2008. According to the book, the five most common places to locate jobs (usually referred to as job-boards) are:

1.) Search Engines

2.) Mega Job-Boards

3.) Niche Job-Boards

4.) Company Job-Boards

5.) Job-Boards For Particular Ages

I personally believe that these are legitimate resources to research jobs, but I prefer to use LinkedIn as my main option. As I attempt to market myself and find a job related to sports marketing, I have found that LinkedIn offers enormous amounts of information relating to potential jobs, including a large database that contains precise job descriptions. In addition, I have found that social media is another reliable platform to find an occupations. In fact, I recently earned a fantasy football writing job from a link on Twitter. Overall, it is clear that the job-hunting process has shifted to an online presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment